Friday, August 27, 2010

Throwing Away the Throwaway Lifestyle

I got into the concept of environmentalism when I was in college when I joined my school's environmental organization. There were some things that were easy for me to do but there were some that weren't. Until now, I'm still struggling with doing what needs doing without offending acquaintances or alienating friends and family.

In a little more than a month, I'll be living alone. Really alone, no housemates or friends around. I'm taking the time to inspect my lifestyle so I can be ready to make some changes. I want to escape from a throwaway lifestyle.

Step 1: Organize ALL my things. I've accumulated stuff and brought in a lot of things from home. I need to make sure that I'm not buying things I already have, or things I don't really need.

Step 2: Consider alternatives for disposable objects.
-menstrual cup and cloth pantiliners to replace sanitary napkins
-wet bags instead of ziploc bags
-reusable utensils and cups/mugs instead of plastic dinnerware
-recyclable toothbrush and razors
-cloth towels and wipes
-reusable bags instead of plastic bags

Step 3: Avoid creating trash.


Gotta be ready for the challenge. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment