Sunday, August 29, 2010

On Writing and Blogging

"Have something to say, and say it as clearly as you can. That is the only secret." 
-Matthew Arnold

I was never really good in writing. In class, people always assumed it was easy for me because I spoke fluently. Maybe they thought that the words that rolled out of my tongue could so easily be transferred to paper. But that wasn't so. It could partly be because I was lazy but then a big chunk of the problem was I couldn't focus on one subject long enough to write it all down. Ideas would pop into my head but I wouldn't take the time to jot it down. 

In college, I actually failed 2 (or was it 3) English classes because I couldn't handle deadlines. Plus, I skipped class too much, but that's another story. I would write other people's papers but could never finish mine. When I transferred to another university, one professor told me that I had an interesting writing style and I should pursue it, get more practice, blah blah blah. Obviously, I ignored it.

I started blogging just for kicks. I needed to kill time and to have an illusion of having someone listen/read my thoughts. After my disco night post, I spoke to my friend briefly about returning to blogging. And he told me that I shouldn't think twice about returning to it. Said I shouldn't waste any talent, mediocre (my word of choice, not his) as it may be. After a couple of posts, I find it easier to let my fingers do the typing and just let thoughts find their way out. Sometimes I still get stumped --- how to end a post, what title to put in, even what label I should choose! Am I writing to many things, starting too many ideas or going off track? Que sera, sera.

Write on :D

"It is perfectly okay to write garbage--as long as you edit brilliantly."
-CJ Cherryh

No comments:

Post a Comment